Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Pringle point

Today I attended another (long) team meeting, but luckily this time, some of the food was being passed around to us medical students at the back (good ol' reg). Among the various tim tams, muffins, cookies and biscuits was a tube of pringles. And as my mind was wandering off away from that meeting, I was reminded of my old uni maths class. There, at one of the lessons, we were doing 3D graphs or something, and we had come to a figure with a parabola going up in one direction, and interesecting with this, a parabola going downwards, except with the X axis perpendicular to the orginal curve - the saddle point. Of course, after drawing and mapping this out, I soon realised this figure was the very essense of a pringle, and hence I said as much. (I ended up giving my teacher a small tube of pringles at the end of the year after I graduated high school).

Anyway, after my small reverie, I was watching the team members going about their meeting, and then I soon noticed something strange. One after another, people would go about and eat their pringles, but that everyone was doing the same way. This went on, and almost everyone I saw were eating the pringle a certain way up. The strange thing was, after I analysed how I was doing it (and I think how I normally eat them), I discovered I was doing exactly opposite of the majority. My rationale was to eat them in a way that I thought would conform to my tongue - that is, with the long axis of the pringle facing down (downwards parabola), and the short axis going upwards towards the sides. This way the chip would follow the curve of your tongue as it sloped downwards towards the back of the throat. I pondered this a while, trying to come up with an explanation, but I couldn't come up with any certainties. Was the chip flavoured more on one side? Did they just pick 'em up like that from the bowl? Were they always jsut stacked like that in the tube? I have no idea, but I think my way is still more logical.

No comments: