Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Austin Interview

Had my last interview today. Yay. Took me 2.5 CDs to get me there and back from the Northern. Maybe I should be putting Austin down lower on my list.

I was feeling bored last weekend, with nothing urgent left to do, and so I pulled out some of my old piano music and started playing through them. I found some of my old Bach baroque pieces and although I couldn't quite play them to sound quite right, I really got into them. Now all week, I've had those little melodies and countermelodies pop up all the time, when I'm daydreaming, driving, just walking around, and even when I'm in that state just before I get up when i'm not quite awake. Today, I just had to pull out those pieces again and go through them again. The only problem is that I feel I need baroque pieces, more modulating voices, countermelodies, themes, canons - and I have some, but I can't play them well enough to satify my need. I think it's some sort of orderly mathematical clockwork-like quality to that style that appeals to me, which is what I'm after. I need to buy some CDs.

Got a call yesterday from an old school friend, asking that I help out with his girlfriend's exam or some such next week - Vocal. The problem lies not in my will, but my ability, as I have seriously forgotten whence it was last I practiced. I feel that if I can't do it well (especially seeing its for exams), then its best that someone else should do it. The other problem is that there may not be others, or that others may be even worse than me. So, in the meantime, I've pulled out the old Hanon studies and warmed my fingers up in anticipation. I've forgotten how sore they can get after practice.

2 comments:

chilli said...

you are so unlike me gal. you like bach because of its mathematical precision?! i like bach because his music fills me with awe. how the fuck did we become mates?

so what's happening this sunday?

Gal said...

I like Bach for the pressure and pace of the pieces, as well as the intertwined and interwoven melodies. Its being able to listen to the same passage and pick out different variations on the same theme each time you hear it, that makes the music so wonderful to me. Surely one can obtain a sense of awe from this, even if its in a different way.