Friday, June 10, 2005

encounter

I was just walking home today from the station, the time being about 12 midnight (as I often do), all draped and huddled in with my great coat, when I noticed a lady across the road staring at me. She had been walking her dog (god knows why at midnight), and as I approached and completed my crossing, she ask me with with incredulity, "Are you wearing your pajamas?" (with a straight face mind you). I hence proceeded to derobe my outer garment, upon which she said "oh, i guess not" and then walked away.

I've been thinking back on my previous account of humour: people, situations, and ideas. It occurred to me that rendering anything subject, is to make it more moving, triggering emotions and feeling in the individual. This can be in both a positive and a negative way, for although tragic past memories can be stirred to mind with this act of relating, the same can change an fundametally abstract idea to one that we hold dear to our hearts. Thus it seems to me that to draw ideas (and humour) we encounter, to experiences we have had firsthand, is to multiply the power of effect it has on us, for better or worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hate RAPP