Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Android

Had a few of my exams last thursday and friday, turned out to be easier than expected. Well, not really, since I didn't really all that much for them. Some of the questions were way fluffier than we've had before though, and I ended up making up several stories in my answers - because that's what they wanted. The art to that is risking enough detail to put in your script to make it sound realistic, but without going overboard so it sounds ridiculous. I think I managed to blend in the right amount of superfluous description, without the examiners wanting to try and base a film on my answer.

Incidentally, someone mentioned that these were the last set of written exams we would have in our undergraduate career. Wow. Of course, I note that these will continue if we wish to pursue further study.

Ended up going out for lunch and dinner on friday after our exams, and also seeing a movie, 2046. I have to admit that I really enjoyed this - apart from just the cinematography, but also the ideas, characters and themes they had in the story. In particular, I felt I could identify with some of the traits and behaviours of some of the characters there. For example, one of the observations the writer in the story made were that some he knew had 'delayed reaction'. There, he was trying to explain why someone acted the way they did. The thing that affected me was that after watching that, and have him point it out, I could also see some similarity in me. Of course, thereafter, I've started to question myself - why do I do it? Am I afraid of making decisions? Is it the interaction that I'm unfamiliar with? Am I scared to show how I feel? As yet, I still don't know, but at least I'm aware of it now. Perhaps next time I will react differently.

Recently, or maybe not so recently, I've noticed a discrepancy in my standards, financially. In some areas, for example with a mobile phone, I might be worried costs and weigh up the choice of phoning versus texting, and whether it is worthwhile going to a computer where I can text for free. On the other hand, I'll go to the pub, buy beer, and not worry about the cost there (well, technically, not entirely true, as I seem to know where the specials are and at what time). But the point still stands: Although I might try and cost save in whatever particular area of spending I'm engaged in, there are still interarea differences in standard of how I value cost and money.

No comments: