Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Adylaissus

Had an trip over the last weekend (Thursday 21/7 - Monday 25/7), where we went up to visit Pete, and explore South Australia a bit. Spent a day at the wineries, and a day at Hahndorf (a German settled town), with lots of lounging around and relaxing. Met up with some people (who all turned out to be Med) after lunch in the German town, and visited Adelaide city, which was largely deserted. Through the trip, we were lucky enough to be housed at Pete's place, with his parents kindly spoiling us with all sorts of food.

One thing I was going to mention was toilet paper. In particular, toilet rolls in bathrooms. It is by no means the first time I've seen this, but it had just prompted my memory. Usually at home, I have my rolls positioned thus:

I had found the particular toilet roll at my host's place positioned rotationally opposite from that which I am used to (with the dangly bit with the next piece of tissue right next to the wall instead of away from it). The reason for this is that I find it easier to obtain my tissues from the roll this way, as having it the other way around means sometimes the tissue sticks to the wall and is hard to hold. And so, I decided to reverse the roll to my liking, and leave it at that. To my surprise, when I came back on my next visit, someone had decided to turn it back the way it was before. From this, I assume that there must have been a reason for wanting the roll that original way, but I have still yet to come up with an explanation. I of course left the roll as it was now, lest I offend someone with my archaic practices.

It was past dusk by the time we were approaching Melbourne on Monday night, and I noticed something interesting. Michael had made the comment previously, when driving towards Adelaide, that we were (slowly) riding towards the sunset. This had the effect of increasing the time we witnessed the sunset, as we were travelling west. Going home, I was therefore surprised to see that even after I thought the sun had gone down for a while, I could still see a ruddy glow through the clouds. Though this was quite a bit darker than that of a normal very late sunset, I thought it could have still been possible that the sun was still meekly shining through. It was only as we approached the outskirts of Melbourne, where the glow was getting brighter, that I realised that it was actually the glow of the city and its lights. The surprising thing that I found, was that all this was visible even a few hundred kilometres away, even when we were beyond Ballarat.

No comments: